03/01/2019 by Rich Levy 0 Comments
Healthy and Gluten Free Salad Recipe with Chickpeas and Tomatoes
The past few weeks have probably brought, besides the Christmas cheer and a lovely time spent with friends and family, a couple of centimetres extra, around your waist. No worries, it can happen … as long as you go back to your normal diet and fitness plan you should be back on track in no time.
To help you with getting back to your healthy lifestyle, I am sharing with you this healthy, gluten free salad recipe. This is great on its own (if you are vegan) or as a side for lunch. Hope you will enjoy it as much as I do.
- 400g of chickpeas (you can get the ones in the can)
- 2 big tomatoes (you can use cherry tomatoes as well)
- 1 small red pepper
- 2 spring onions
- 1 small onion
- 1 carrot (optional)
- 1 cucumber (optional)
- 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro
- 10 basil leaves
- 1 tbsp. of sesame oil or olive oil
- 1 tsp. of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. of sesame seeds
- 1 tsp. of nigella seeds (optional)
- salt to taste
InstructionsIf you use chickpeas from the can you can rinse, drain and place these in a large bowl. If you use dried chickpeas make sure you keep these in the water overnight. As the chickpeas will almost triple in size you can use around 200g of dried chickpeas. Once these are soaked rinse and drain the chickpeas before using them.
Chop the tomatoes, red pepper, spring onions, the small onion and the carrot / cucumber. Add these into the same bowl along with the cilantro.
Top with the sesame oil or olive oil and the balsamic vinegar. Mix everything and add salt to taste. You can garnish the salad with basil, sesame seeds or nigella seeds.
Why you should try this gluten free salad recipe
This salad is not only tasty but also great for your health as:
- it includes a lot of nutrients
- it will boost your immune system
- it’s full of vitamin C from the vegetables
- has calcium from the sesame seeds
- it includes carotenoids from the carrot, tomatoes and red pepper. Carotenoids act like antioxidants, can protect your eye health, lower inflammation in your body and protect cells from free radicals.
Let me know if you have tried this recipe and comment below your thoughts.